Monday, March 23, 2015

After what I guess looked sort of like a meltdown on Thursday, I'm better. I think Thursdays are just super bad for me. They're a long day at the end of a long week. So maybe now that I recognize that, I can be better at handling them.

Things always look better on Mondays. I've got a probably long night ahead of me. Last night was long, too.

The Magpie has allergies on top of wicked sinus infection, which I think is worse than the last one, and tonsillitis on top of that. This last round of antibiotics, one to which she generally responds well has just done a number on her. Last night, she wouldn't go to sleep. Then she woke up at 3:30 this morning, which is extraordinarily unusual, as in NEVER happens, and it took her quite some time to settle down. That was rough. She hadn't settled down for her nap when I left to come to campus either. I think it's going to take some time for her to get used to the allergy medicine. And the antibiotics aren't agreeing with her at night time right now, so we're giving it to her a little sooner each day  (thankfully only two days left). But man, I feel for this kid. She is absolutely miserable.

Once I made the decision to let my focus be on my research this quarter and just do the necessary minimum to be effective and good at my job, I've felt much better. With the sick kid and a service obligation for the department this weekend and lack of sleep, I've not been able to get anything done since then, but knowing that that's the decision I've made has made me feel better. This stuff needs to get done, and get done soon. One article has got to be sent out before the quarter ends and the other one needs to be drafted. I can do this. I know I can.

So I must go teach now. And then my day is over from a work standpoint. I just hope this kid sleeps a bit better tonight. Poor baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment