Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Quarter Start

So the start of the quarter is going well so far this week. Last week I wasn't sure. I was stressed, exhausted, and ended up in tears by Sunday, several times, and then I cried all like Friday morning. And then there was this thing with the hotel for the J's banquet. Thursday was chewed up with a doctor's appointment and the obnoxiousness of what I assigned for the poetry class last Friday. By Sunday night, I was done and didn't want to ever leave my bed again.

However, I am happy to report that things that got better. I dragged myself out of bed at 4:30 in the morning to make the 5 am CrossFit class because I am determined to spend this part of the pregnancy healthier than the first. Things are starting to stiffen, and all the stuff that I keep reading, from swelling to hemorrhoids, can be prevented by regular exercise. And I tell you what, hemorrhoids frighten me more than labor does, actually. And I don't want cankles. So if this is the case, then well, I am determined to do something better for myself, safely, don't worry. Anyway, my point is, I'm sooooo glad that I made myself go. My long Monday was so much more bearable. I mean, 7:45-4:45 is a long day. Three classes, four hours of office hours. Long day. But I felt better because I worked out. I was exhausted, but it was a good exhaustion,  you know? So today, I dragged myself out of bed again at 4:30 am, and today was fine. I think it really helps me. Plus, it has tremendously helped my stress level. Now, duh, all this is a no brainer. I knew this, which is why I work out and why I would work out before class pre-pregnancy. But for some reason, I got it in my head that since I've been so exhausted that exercise would work against me in this condition. But, really, honestly, it's helped with everything. I sleep better. And don't worry, folks. I'm not acting a fool with the work outs. And yesterday I did some yoga. It was grand.

The other thing I think helping me, too, with this schedule, is having Tuesdays and Thursdays completely off. And it's not just the physical act of having T&TH off. But the psychological aspect of it as well. Knowing that I can sleep in, that I don't have to leave the house on TR, that I don't even have to shower, that makes a huge difference for me right now. I can get through the long ass day knowing that I don't have to do it all over again the next day. There's no way I could handle that right now. I'm very fortunate. Theoretically, TR are now reserved for research only, for getting my own shit done. I am willing to make one concession--if needed, I'll allow myself Tuesday mornings, only, to get stuff done for the poetry class if I can't finish it on the weekend or during the Monday office hours. Regardless, Thursdays are reserved for research and writing. And we'll see how that goes tomorrow. So right now, I feel pretty good here about what's going on with the schedule and the potential. It's already better right now than it was this time last quarter.

Helping right now as well is that my three classes are going really well for the first week. Generally I don't have this much enthusiasm this early. It takes 'em a while to get going. But today, all three classes went over time because they wouldn't stop talking and asking questions. I've NEVER had that happen to me before. It's exhausting as well, but in a great way.

Lest I jinx anything, right now at least, I feel good. Classes seem to be going well. I have the potential to actually get work done during this semester. I've been able to work out and cook this week. I have my reading list for my paper done and ready to go, so tomorrow morning I know exactly where to start. I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow's day of research and reading because it will be the first time since September that I've done anything scholarly, and I'm so ready to actually be doing something scholarly toward something scholarly.


No comments:

Post a Comment