Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I have a pretty good sense at the "what" that needs to be done this summer. The thing that I often struggle with is the "how." As fond as I am of making to do lists and having plans, I don't know if they ever really help with the "how." I'm not very good at putting together research plans. And that's what I've got to work on in the next couple of days here before "summer" camp starts next week.

What I need to work on today is the camp stuff. And I've got a good sense of that at least.

I also, right now, am setting myself up with constant reminders/motivational stuff (not like motivational but stuff to keep me motivated) so that I can stay on task.

I'm also trying to work on balance. Rather than just wholly immersing myself in research reading, I am actually taking the time to pleasure read, which is something that I just don't get to do.

I'm also trying to prioritize tasks. Rather than working on everything all at once, I'm working on trying to figure out what what should get done when so that I don't become overwhelmed thinking or acting like it all needs to get done NOW! But I also want to enjoy summer, too.

Ack, so much to figure out.

1 comment:

  1. I know that to-do lists often overwhelm me more than they help me get things done, especially when some of those items are really projects. I listened to an audiobook that has helped me somewhat with all this. It was David Allen's Getting Things Done. His goal is "stress-free productivity." He says that most of us are stressed out because we try to hold too much stuff in our heads, thus getting stressed. Instead, he advocates us writing all tasks and projects down and getting it all out of our heads. He's serious -- all tasks and projects, making a very long uber-list. He says that anything that takes more than one action is not a task; it's a project. So you've got to write the project down. Yes, you can break it down into tasks if that helps, but I find often that I don't know all the tasks needed until I'm deep in it. (And he's got an informal project planning design that totally works for me; I've been using it for a big project I've got going at work.) But all you need with any project is the *next action.* Even this concept has been brilliant for me, helping me to focus only on that next step/short assignment (in Anne Lamott's terms) instead of getting overwhelmed with all of it all. So I have a simple table on my computer that lists out all my projects (whether work or home or whatever) and the next action. When I do that action, I put in the next one. (If it's a multi-step project where I might forget the steps, I write them in because I don't want to have additional project pages to look at, which is what he advises. I know myself. If I have to look at a bunch of things to stay organized, it ain't gonna happen.) When the project is over, even if it was only two steps, I delete it. All of this is based on this simple premise: you've got to feel fine about what you're NOT doing. He also has some good ideas about calendars, but I find I've never been good with keeping a certain schedule. So I don't bother working against myself. I really enjoyed listening to the audiobook, even with the sort of businessy attitude, because it helped me think I really could get on top of it all. (I don't really think it's possible -- I can only be on top of one thing at a time -- but I love that perky optimism.) Anyhoo, you might look into it. I'm planning on listening to it again soon.

    Big hugs to you and Magpie!

    ReplyDelete