Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Some positive stuffs!

Today is day 18 of being GF, or at least if anything I've had has had traces of it in it, I'm unawares. I think I mentioned that days 10-13 were horrific, but I seem to be doing a bit better with it. However, I do get my sugar fix with wine and fruit, which you know, at least it's not pizza, cookies, ice cream, and the like. So I guess that's positive.

I have also managed to train myself to crave early morning exercise. Believe it or not. It's true. And now especially since I've redone my workout program, it's easier to do the workouts in the morning. Also, it's getting to be really really hot in the afternoons. My options were work out in the afternoons when it's really really freaking hot and be miserable, or dragging my bones out there before it becomes unbearable, and it turns out that by the time 6:15 rolls around, if I'm not out the door running, I start to get a little agitated. Plus, it feels soooooooooooo good to get home from campus and nap or read or do other things rather than work out. It has become much easier for me to maintain these first nine days of the month, doing it first thing. And there's such a sense of satisfaction knowing that it's done. I am starting to look forward to working out in the mornings. Even on the early days--TR--I can get at least 30-45 minutes in. It means I'm a little bit more tired in the afternoons, but it's so worth it. Most of the time I have a lot of energy with working out in the morning, but not always. However, since the last few weeks with the freshman have been rough, the morning workouts help with that stress, and when their classes are particularly tiring, I can just go home and crash rather than having to work out.

I've also been able to be more productive during my office hours the last few days, too. Today was sort of a bust, but at least two students showed up for revision meetings (I'm glad I got other things done M & T then), and then I had two other student meetings, a brief one with my boss, and another student who just wanted to chat, and one who forgot an assignment. So my office hours have actually be pretty busy this morning/noon.

In the past two days though I've
  • Graded 37 lit analyses.
  • Calculated the grades thus far for the lit classes.
  • Have the calculated grades updated in the spreadsheet for both lit classes.
  • Have 1/3 of the grades for the freshman class calculated and entered.
  • Tweaked the lit final for the spring quarter class. 
That's quite a bit! I'm actually quite tired now, and I still have one class left to teach, but at least I'm caught up with just about everything for now.

Tomorrow during my office hours one of two things will happen: I'll be able to finish calculating the freshman grades and get them entered and have time to work on the summer syllabus; or all the rest of the students who wish to revise and want to meet with me will appear in a line outside my door for their revision conferences. As most of them have quit reading and haven't shown up to class with books for the last three weeks or more, once my office hours are done, whoever is left is S.O.L.

Any bets on which of the two scenarios is most likely to happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment