Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I still don't have any sort of rhythm. And last week I got hit with some sort of flu-like plague. I only missed one class (yay for Fridays off!), but I spent three days in bed. Magpie brought something funky home from daycare--she was out for over a week. The J got hit with it, twice, and Mom got it once. Last week was a mess. But, it turns out that I just needed three days in bed. I had a burst of energy on Sunday and was able to get breakfasts for the week cooked and got all the food for the week prepped, so that was super helpful and has made the week a bit easier. Monday though I paid for it. I've got some allergy (?) sinus (?) issue right now--my head hurt so bad this morning that my hair hurt, but I finally feel caught up. I'm almost ahead. The only thing suffering right now is the book proposal work and that article, which those deadlines are looming; however, I'm not a total stress bucket at the moment.

Magpie finally, knock wood, seems to be adjusting to daycare better this week. We've discovered the "key" to her not having a meltdown--we drop her off when the kids are outside. She LOVES being outside. Starting her day at daycare outside seems to lighten the blow of having to be at daycare. So the last three days have been relatively tear free at drop off. And since I know how much she loves to be outside, it makes it a bit easier for me, and I feel so much less guilty for her being in daycare. So today we'll pick her up after afternoon outside time, so she's going to start spending about 6 hours a day in daycare.

I did something last week that was very new to me, but which I think most of you did years and years ago. Last Wednesday, I taught without having put any make up on. I'm not one of those people who can't leave the house without make up, but I wear make up to work because it helps me feel put together and professional. Well, last Wednesday we spent the morning at the doctor with Magpie (her cold turned into a massive double ear infection and strep), and I was exhausted and just had the one class and I didn't look terrible, so I went sans make up. And you know what? If anyone noticed, they didn't say anything. The ground did not open up and swallow me. There was no apocalypse. The students didn't shudder in disgust. No one ran running.

Dear God, was it so LIBERATING! I actually have not worn make up to class for a week now. I mean, this is a big deal for me. But I just love leaving that part of my morning routine out. The first thing I do when I get home anyway is to take my make up off and be free. I have found that ironically, I am less self-conscious without make up than I am with make up on. I'm not worried about it streaking or or my face being so oily that it jacks it up or worried about how awful it looks after a few hours. I like wearing make up and getting dressed up, but fortunately I work in a fairly casual department/university, so really, just wow. I may never go back. Now, I'll feel even better when I can get my melasma taken care of, and I might get to start working on that this winter, but for now, man, it's so nice not being made up every day.

Also, we have not only an offer but a contract on the house. I think we even have a closing date. Yay! Baby steps. Baby steps.

And eventually I'll start grading the massive amounts of stuff I got while I was sick and haven't looked at yet.

And the J turned 40.

I'm just happy that I'm feeling a bit better than I have been. Maybe by next week I can finally find some sort rhythm and schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment