Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Afraid.

I've been struggling a lot lately with being overwhelmed by the looming specter of tenure. I don't go up until next year, but I'm still short on my scholarship. I think that's what happened this summer. Rather than just getting it done and being done with it so this year didn't become a horror research, writing, and stress, this year is looking to become that horror. And I don't function well in that kind of environment at all. And wanting to get it done because I want tenure isn't enough.

I'm just not a good worker. I have a terrible work ethic. Maybe it's not as bad as I think because I am able to get everything for my teaching done that I need to do; however, I can't apply that same sort of urgency and motivation to my scholarly work. Because if I'm being honest with myself here, I didn't get anything done this summer because once I realized that I couldn't get everything done, I freaked out about what should/needs to be done and just imploded and nothing got done.

So here I am, the year before tenure hoping that I don't fall into classic Maude and flake out.

Here's the other real problem. I've not actually ever written a full length, fully researched article. Ever. I've written seminar papers; I've written short articles and short book chapters; I've written conference papers. But I've never undertaken article writing. Ever. And I'm scared that I can't do it. That I have forgotten how to research. I'm scared that I can't be a professor, scholar, wife, mother, and person. I'm scared that I will actually make a valiant effort at tenure and still fall short.

My fear has left me paralyzed. My paralysis has left me unproductive and stressed and depressed. If I spent the time working on this that I spent worrying about it, I might be done. But I'm having a hard time moving past that.

I know I need to face my fear. I know I need to devote more than an hour a day to this and stop congratulating myself for getting an hour of work in. I need to  make the research a priority for this year, even if it means my teaching falters a little bit because that's good enough for that end, and make this the number one priority. There's too much at stake for me not to.


3 comments:

  1. If you do an hour a day of actual productive research work, focusing on getting the papers you need, that could be enough - it is amazing (at least, I have found it so) how much you can do in an hour a day once you can shut off the mean voices in your head! I have much sympathy on the problem of trying to do All The Things, then actually doing None Of The Things - membership of writing groups has really helped me get better at picking Just One Thing that can make the most difference, and focusing on it.

    If a little structure and a friendly support group who are not at your institution would help, the current version of the on-line academic writing group is starting up for the rest of the semester this week over here - you would be SO welcome to come and join us, and it might help, you never know... hope to see you over there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do congratulate yourself on an hour a day, if you're able to get that in. That's impressive. As JaneB says, an hour a day of actual, focused work can be pretty amazingly productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JaneB and Heu Mihi, thanks for your advice and support. JaneB, I joined the group.

    ReplyDelete