Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Life Lessons from Elmo

Thanks to JaneB, I joined Top Left Quadrant, which while for some reason I was resistant to that type of structure over the summer, it's clear that I need it. Also, I sent an email to my dear friend and mentor and senior scholar in my field asking him if he'd look over stuff if I sent things to him at X date, and he said yes, but shot back a really compressed timeline of what he wanted and when, which is not unreasonable, but will require focus and dedication between now and the end of January. However, I trust him, and if that's what he wants, and if that's what I need to do to make sure I get that last article published (which I know means there needs to be like three or four in the pipeline), then I will do it. I don't want this next summer to be a mad dash because I'd like to take a family vacation. I am terrified and intimidated by this timeline, but I know I can do it. He has never steered me wrong, and he wouldn't have given me a schedule that he didn't think I could handle.

That being said, it feels good, honestly, to have that kind of pressure knowing that he's depending on work from me, that's he's making time in his schedule to look at these things in this short period of time, and the pressure of not wanting to disappoint him. No matter what I give him, even if it's not up to par,he's going to help me get it to where it needs to be and won't just throw it back at me telling me it's crap. I think that pressure and support will be helpful.

Right now though, I feel like I'm taking all of my life lessons from Elmo in Grouchland: The Queen of Trash's song, "Life is all about your point of view." And the wise words of the Stuckweed's song: "Take your first step/Soon you will see/Just how brave your heart can be./Look on up/To the sky,/Take your first step,/And kiss your fears goodbye." Those two songs are stuck on an endless loop in my head these days as we have a short list of movies that the Magpie loves: Elmo, Mary Poppins, Babe which is a favorite on any given day. Then sometimes we can sneak in the George of the Jungle movie with Brendan Fraser and Leslie Mann and Babe: Pig in the City, both of which I adore. She loves live action and won't sit still for cartoons, but will watch nature shows. The kid has good taste.

So yes, life lessons from Elmo. The Stuckweed and Vanessa Williams are wise beyond their years.

My goals for today:

  • Set up new office computer
  • Read for at least three hours
  • Bathe dog
  • Make dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment