Friday, March 18, 2016

The article that won't die.

At what point do you decide to scrap a project/article?

I can't figure out if I've been working on it so long and have put it aside and come back to it so many times that I've just lost the essence of the argument, or, if perhaps a symptom of depression I'm just having trouble focusing on it and just lacking in confidence?

Not that articles aren't work. I understand that. I've written a couple of smaller one which have been published, and obviously countless seminar papers and conference papers and the like, so it's not like I expect this to be a piece of cake by any means.

But I've been working on this for over a year (first in conference paper form, and then in trying to get it to article length), and each new version just gets harder and harder. It never gets past conference paper stage. And what I'm finding is that each expansion requires a different direction of research to make the paper make sense (at least to me), which it just seems to me like if the argument was a good argument, it wouldn't require me to go off in five different directions to establish the argument so I can make the argument work. In my experience, if it's taking that much work, then maybe it's time to reconsider the paper. And maybe that's why I haven't made any progress on it whatsoever (aside from that short burst a few weeks ago). I'm conflicted because I'm worried this is me getting to a tough spot and using it as an excuse not to finish.

But seriously, this argument. I don't even thinking I'm buying it anymore.

I'm wondering if I don't shift my energy to the next project which is a better argument, honestly, and more interesting to me, get that done and maybe return to this one? I feel like I'm just putting a bunch of energy into something that I don't think is viable and that I'm being stubborn.

The other part of this is okay, it's not a tough spot and I'm giving up, but that I'm using this tough spot and avoidance as a form of self-sabotage under the guise of "I must get this done." The more effort I spend on this, the less time I have for the more viable arguments.

I feel like it needs to go away. I have a much more solid research plan for the other project, and it feels like something I can knock out more easily, maybe because it's new, there's a deadline for the conference (I'm writing the article to cut down as the conference paper), it's fresh, and I think the other one has a) past its prime, and b) is just dead in the water.

So, when you do you know it's time to move on, that a project just isn't worth it? Or do you ever not scrap projects?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a good one to answer your question. I scrap projects by putting them aside and not returning to them. But I think there's an obvious answer here. You should probably have someone read the piece and give you comments. Meanwhile you should work on the project that seems easier and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this like that crazy feeling of panic that made me and most of my friends seriously consider dropping out when the dissertation was 90 percent done? (And some of them did) I think there's something about being mostly done and looking forward to what happens after that triggers panic and irrational thoughts.

    (Not that I am blaming you for being crazy, but that so many of us end up in the same place)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, see that's the thing--it's nowhere near done. The drafting of it , the idea fleshing is taking this much work. I think it was a fine idea for a conference paper. Expanding on it is what I feel like I've been foolishly trying to do all this time. It just won't develop. It's not even half a full draft yet. That's what I've been pushing to--to try to get a full draft. I. Might have to accept it's a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive the typos. I'm doing this on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete