Saturday, October 20, 2012

Willing myself out of sickness

Well, I have just decided to "will" myself out of whatever my funk was. I'm still congested. My chest still feels asthmatic, and my students still continue to sneeze, cough, and sniffle in my general direction. And I have one, who despite being sick consistently (unlike myself who catches it and releases it only to catch it again) refuses to go to the doctor even though he's missing classes and consistently oversleeping due to his illness. I have only missed one class and 2 office hours. No doctor for me.

So Wednesday when I woke up, I literally said aloud, "Fuck it," and decided that I wasn't going to be sick any more. Well, Wednesday's work out was a bit of an eye opener (I haven't had three days off in a row since I started CF at the box in July, even when traveling). But Thursday and yesterday were great workout days! I needed that. Sure, I was grumpy again in the afternoon because I was tired from the intensity, but hey, I had a couple of great days. Am I on the upswing? I have no idea. Am I tired of being sick on-again/off-again? Yup indeed. So yes, I'm going to "will" myself out of this sick business here.

In other news, I mapped out the next three weeks--well, last week, plus the next two, in terms of what needs to be read and when I need to start working on my research and how/when I'm going to work on it.

I have mostly kept with it so far. Thursday afternoon showed itself to be more of a challenging day than I had anticipated and by yesterday afternoon, I felt like I had actually indeed been working almost non-stop all week that I just took the afternoon off. I got done early; the husband got done early. We went to dinner and then watched a scary movie. It was grand. :)

But mapping things out really cut my stress level in half. Even though I have my days pretty packed, my evenings are still open, and it showed me that I do actually have time to get everything done rather than feeling overwhelmed. I'm behind at this moment, but I do believe that by tomorrow night I'll be caught up. And I'll still have time to watch the game.

So, I don't want to say that I'm feeling better because the last time two times I did that I totally jinxed myself, so I'll just keep plugging along. I fear my glasses may never arrive as they are being shipped from Canada and are apparently in customs hell right now, so we'll see what happens. It looks like I will have waited about a month since ordering them before I actually get them. At least they refunded the money I paid for expedited shipping.

And now, I will do some work before I go work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment