Saturday, July 28, 2012

Some positive things

Okay, so I actually got some work done this week! Not nearly what I intended, of course, but I did manage to finish the little pedagogy article on Thursday, and the editor already responded very favorably toward ti. Ze suggested some optional revisions, but if I thought they were stupid, ze is ready to publish the article for the fall "as is." Yay for that weight off my shoulders. So I'm going to tinker with it and get hir something by Tuesday at the latest.

So far well behind what I had outlined for myself for this summer. I honestly had not anticipated how much energy and time it would consume to teach a summer class AND to spend about six weeks in a steady state of panic about summer finances. Last month seemed to be off to a decent start when we found out about the husband's job and I got some extra money, but then we didn't hear anything else about his job for weeks, and then I freaked out because I felt foolish for all of our spending in getting things for the house and getting things for ourselves that we had been putting off and putting off and putting off. And it looked like if the job were real that we were looking at a late August or September start date which didn't help with the financial issues at all. So I've really spent the last two weeks freaking out about that, pacing, sleeping, doing everything but work because work means sitting still and reading or writing which leads to reflection which leads to panic and anxiety and halts productivity. I made the husband call the new unit to find out what was going on, if he still had the job, if it really was real.

He starts next Wednesday which means two paychecks by September 1. Whew. Relief. I can pay our bills for August and September and we can still eat. I can't wait until the end of September when we both have paychecks and I can start trying to get us out of debt. Won't that be special??

I have six days left on the Whole30. I believe I have lost some inches because in the last 10 days I've been able to get into a skirt I haven't been able to wear in three years, a pair of pants that has NEVER fit, and shorts that I've not been able to wear in three years either. I assume I am shrinking, but I can neither weigh myself nor do my measurements until next Saturday morning, on Day 31. The exercise stuff is going amazingly, except in the past week I've given myself frostbite, I bruised my chest doing power cleans, I tore some skin off my hands practicing my kipping for my pullups, and yesterday, my brain wanted one thing and my body wanted another and I ate the box on which I was jumping, and now I have a sweet ass bruise on my shin and a cut. At least the injuries are going down in severity. The husband is worried though that the injuries will eventually cause suspicion and he'll be investigated. I told him not to worry that there were plenty of witnesses at the box who can attest to how I got my injuries. It's still wicked fun, and my injuries make me feel tough, even if it does mean I'm going to look like the quarterback princess at prom for my cousin's wedding in a couple of weeks.

While I had two ideas for my next two things that I wanted to work on, I think I need to switch my plans around. I need to regroup here, figure out a plan of attack for August, and then figure out how I'm going to get done what I need to by the time Winter Quarter starts. Part of that is going to involve getting my office space cleaned up. And honestly, now that the husband has a job, in theory I should be able to get more stuff done in the afternoons because he won't be home until about 6 most days I think, so that does give me a lot of time T-F to get stuff done without him distracting me.

Furthermore, my parents are coming in next weekend, so I've got to get some of that madness taken care of too in the guest room.

Oh, and I sent an email to my student with the incomplete, in which I copied both my boss and the registrar, explaining that if I didn't have the rest of hir work by yesterday, that since I had family obligations and trips planned for the next five weeks, I couldn't guarantee that I'd get to hir work in the most timely manner after yesterday, so if ze had to contest hir scholarship before the quarter started, I'd be able to get hir stuff graded before Monday if ze turned it all in, otherwise, I couldn't guarantee that I'd even be in the state to turn in the grade change form. The registrar responded very kindly to me saying that he "had my back," which was nice since he ended up on the shit side of the stick a few weeks ago, too. And lo and behold! Stu turned in hir work Thursday, which I promptly graded and immediately went to campus to submit the form! I'm done with Stu! Yay!!

Oy, I've got a long weekend ahead of me while the husband is at drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment