Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Little Magpie



So you know in September and early October I had the flu, or something, and I was sick all month. That was legit. Like I really did have whatever was going around and around and around. It sucked. Lots of people were out. Lots of stus were out and then coming to class sick because they had used up all their absences.

These last few weeks though are a totally different story.

Maybe you've guessed if you're still reading the blog? I'm pregnant. Holy crap. I'm pregnant! Which really is the main reason for my radio silence because like I said about a week ago, I can't keep my mouth shut. But it's becoming fairly obvious in real life now, so I thought now might be as good a time as any to just come clean. Although if you know me IRL/FB, please don't say anything on my FB because I am DREADING telling my boss. She is an amazing piece of work. I plan on talking to HR first before I talk to her because the little Magpie (hence the blog title) is due over summer, and if we can get our finances together, I plan on taking next fall quarter for my maternity leave, which I know I have every right to my six weeks unpaid maternity leave. But I want the full quarter. Last year, an instructor had her baby over the summer and decided to take her maternity leave this fall, and I found out that my boss was pissed, that she didn't understand why if the baby was born in the summer she needed to take the fall off. So I'm already dealing with an uphill battle here. I think one of my colleagues who sees me regularly and often is suspicious. And I've noticed a couple of students who had me last quarter or saw me regularly last quarter staring. But I avoid my boss like the plague, and she's more likely to think that I jut got fat.

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious. I'm only 10 weeks just today, but my boobs are twice the size they were a month ago, and that flat, nice, half washboard ab stomach I had is big and large. My hips have gotten almost two inches bigger as well. And I've seriously already gained about 10 pounds. Sadly that weight ain't all baby. I've had some wicked morning sickness which is more like a four week constant hangover, so for the first four-five weeks, I was eating every three hours because the moment my stomach is empty I'd get sick. And I've not been a good Paleo girl either, which I'd probably have felt better if I were, but really, I was just like I'll eat whatever sounds appealing at any one time that doesn't make my stomach churn thinking about it. But my lovely doctor gave me some medicine for all of that, and I think things are getting back to normal. Or at least, I should be able to get back to something more sensible and healthy at least. I started off pretty healthy. But once the sickness and food aversions kicked it, well, all bets were off. I'm a giant wuss, and I've been wearing maternity clothes since week 6. I love them. They're like yoga pants you can wear nice shirts with! And sadly, I hate to admit that my burgeoning maternity wardrobe is actually cuter and trendier than my regular wardrobe.  What I found surprising is that it's actually cheaper than my regular wardrobe! Even the "nice" stuff.

I can't promise that this won't turn into "Maude's Pregnancy Adventures" but I'm going to try not to let it become that because one of my biggest fears is adjusting to a new identity that doesn't encompass my entire life. I understand that I will probably change as a person, and I worry that mom stuff will eclipse the other things that define me.

I will say that I am lucky to be where I am though and that our insurance is good. I think on average, it costs, with our insurance, out of pocket, $50 to have a baby. What's even more lovely is that given the J's position in the military, our insurance is included as part of his salary and benefits, so we don't pay for that nor will we have to pay for a child either. We are very fortunate for that. I am also thankful that I have found a good doctor here who does not classify me as being of "advanced maternal age," nor is he an alarmist and intervention happy. He is not test happy either, as far as he'll do whatever tests I want, but he's not like, "well, at your age with all these risks, I require you to go through x, y, & z." That was my biggest fear, actually. So I felt much better after that first appointment with him. He's younger. Clearly up to date. And believes that as long as I'm healthy and nature is taking its course, there's no need for him to impose anything unless there's a significant problem.

I am also lucky that the CF box's owner's wife is pregnant, too, and a couple of months ahead of me, so he's very up to date and informed, and I work out with his wife, so I'm lucky that I have two people knowledgeable and supportive enough in that area of my life that I can safely continue to work out the way I want to. I've slowed down quite a bit already, and I have to take more breaks than I'd like to, but it's good so far. And again, I have two qualified people with me there.

Anyway, so that's it. I'll write more about the start of the quarter and all the crap I have to get done this weekend later.




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is really exciting news! Dude, I am like you and I was in maternity gear by 8 weeks--which does make it harder to hide because women, especially, are going to look at the cut of that shirt and go "hmmm...." Plus I'd read no matter what you decided to write about but I am totally up for Maude's pregnancy adventures blog.

    So glad you have a good non-intervention happy doctor. It makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anastasia! That means a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Congrats!!! I was a little worried about the box workouts but it sounds like you have people who will be supportive and not push you too hard. Yay!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! I've been so self-absorbed that it hadn't occurred to me and I only just now got to this post!!!!! Mazel tov!!!! Huzzah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete